Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Buiding a desktop PC.

On 07/01/2019 23:53, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 23:47:16 +0000, Bill wrote:

Noise was the problem with my mini-itx machine I'm getting rid of.

Same here. I had four 1U servers, all Mini-ITX. Mostly fanless (on the
motherboard) but tiny, noisy fans in the case.

I dumped them in favour of HP microservers that I got for about £100
each. Large, slow fans.

Yes. I had wanted a low power server but in the end the motheboard I
used wasn't hugely powerful, and the case/CPU fans were quiet, there was
bags of room for disks, and it all sits in a cornber plugged into the
ethernet anyway so who cares?

If you run headless Linux, you need only a GB of RAM or so, any 64 bit
machine is well powerful enough - mine is an XP era home mechine - but
tedesktop here is much hiher spec.

It has no disk except 64GB of SSD to boot and run programs from, an
onboard sound ethrnet and video though it actually run an Nvidia card
for playing real time games instead.

The case is old but te original XP era MB went peculiar on me and I was
doing a fair bit of video processing and running an XP virtual machine
inside it as well, so I went for a cheapo modern board with decent CPU
and 8GB RAM, and a new nvidia card.

Mostly bought from https://www.woc.co.uk

Prices are up these days...hatrd to get anything under £500..

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan