Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Motion detector light problems

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 19:35:49 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 15:57:26 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 06:40:35 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 17:21:08 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
On 1/6/2019 11:14 PM, Brian wrote:
replying to sperrin, Brian wrote:
I am working on my motion dectector light outside on my garage the senior
light blinks red even when I move it around can you give me any tips to
fixing
it

Replace the sensor and be done with it. They are only good for a few
years from my experience.

Mine have all been fine for decades now.
I have some that are decades old and others won't even make it through
the typical 5 year warranty.
Keep your receipt.

A lot has to do with the sun hits the sensor directly. Sunlight will
burn them up pretty fast.
In a couple that point south (would be north for Rod)
I made a sunshade over the sensor out of aluminum flashing.
That seems to help

The plastic "lens" over the sensor deteriorates quickly in direct
sun. Protecting that can go a long ways.
Bugs getting into the housing don't help either - and when the lens
cracks they get in a lot rasier - -

I was replacing the one on my south-facing rear wall every 2 or 3
years. I finally spent a bit more and this one is approaching 5 years.
The motion detector lights in my shed should last a lot longer as they
don't see any direct sunlight.

The Heath Zenith head in my family room is almost 33 years old but it
never sees the sun.

Correct. The Heath Zenith on my south facing wall didn't make 3 years
- IIRC just barely over 2.