Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Buiding a desktop PC.

I rather fancy having a PC integrated to the main Hi-Fi etc system. Mainly
to download/store music etc files. Got a fair bit of space for it, so even
an older case size would be fine - but flat rather than a tower. Would
like a decent processor so it doesn't become obsolete quickly. Only need
an HDMI output for the TV, so probably not a fancy graphics card.

I've built a few in the past, but can't for the life of me remember who I
got the bits from. Googling as usual gives several.

What would be the most reliable mother board to go for? Not had that good
experience with ASUS before. And which processor? As I said not done
anything like this for ages, so very out of touch.

Rather than buy the bits I think I would look for a recycled business
machine. This isn't necessarily a particularly good example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-DELL....c100005.m1851.

I think these towers work fine on their side too. I've had two or three
Dells for my main office machine, very easy to maintain or update (they
usually have all the spare disk carriers and cables that you need).

Or this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Th...ySu:rk:30:pf:0