Stormin Mormon

Default wires to capacitor on YORK AC unit are burned and melted

In order to assist Tony (whose messages no longer appear on my screen) I am
providing the answers to the test. Enjoy!

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

1) You say that each of the three compressor terminals represents its own
winding. I know of two windings, but you say there are three. What are the
names of the three windings, and what do they each do?
SM: There are two windings. They are the start winding, and the run winding.
I didn't think Tony could answer this one.

2) What are the names of the electrical terminals on a typical compressor?
What does each terminal do?
SM: Common, start, and run. Common acts as a neutral, though on 220 volt
comps, the common terminal is "hot". Start provides for extra torque for
starting. On refrigeration compressors, the start terminal is usually only
powered for a second or two, via a start relay. On AC units, it is often
hooked to a motor run capacitor. Run terminal provides the power to run the
compressor.

3) In terms of temperature, what happens when a terminal is corroded, and
trying to carry current? And in terms of the electrical flow, what happens
when a terminal is corroded?
SM: When a terminal is corroded, it provides a resistance. Also can be
called a "load". This blocks or reduces the flow of electricity, and turns
the electricity to heat energy.

4) What is the electrical current path through a compressor? For example,
which terminal is hot, and which is neutral?
SM: During startup (of start relay units) power is supplied to the S
terminal, and exits through the C terminal. After the compressor motor
starts, power is then supplied to R terminal,a nd exits through the C
terminal. In some AC compressors, the power is applied to R terminal, using
C for neutral. S and R terminals goes to a motor run capacitor.