Christian McArdle

Default Moving freezer, keep upright essential?

I'm moving a chest freezer to another house about 10 miles away.
The problem is that it will not fit upright into my hatchback.
It would fit if placed on its side.

If it is of little value, so not worth transporting by other means and you
won't be too disappointed if it is broken:

1. Lay sheets under it in case of leaks.
2. Move it.
3. Stand it upright for 2 days in its final position.
4. Turn it on for 30 seconds. Turn it off for 15 minutes.
5. Repeat (3) about ten times, very slightly increasing the "on" time each
time until you leave it on permanently.

This process will hopefully separate the lubricating oil from the
refridgerant before the compressor burns out. Note the word "hopefully".

Christian.