Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default Fire escape questions

In article ,
R D S wrote:
Wanting to add external access to upstairs (retail property) and been
quoted £5k for an external metal staircase, fitted. Is that
normal/reasonable?

Has anyone any experience of a timber alternative? I imagine that timber
these days would stand the test of time, be fire retardant and look
better (IMO at least) and i'd have thought should be cheaper.

Is there scope for this to be a DIY job or would building regs make it
problematic?

"Timber these days" tends to last a shorter time than tiber of old since
many preservatives have been banned. It is certainly less fire retardant
than steel. I doubt if you'd get permission to have anything other than
metal.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England