Keith Reding

Default wires to capacitor on YORK AC unit are burned and melted

The AC originally had a single capacitor but the first repair guy said it
was crap and replaced it with the two separate units.

Keith

"go fish" wrote in message
"Keith Reding" wrote in message

The unit is a York Model H2DAQ42SQ6A. The Serial Number is ELBM396211.

Here are the links to some photos showing the burned wires. I thought

the
burned wires were connected to the capacitor but they are not. See the
photos for a better explanation.

http://home.earthlink.net/~noharmdoneband/Img1833.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~noharmdoneband/Img1834.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~noharmdoneband/Img1835.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~noharmdoneband/Img1836.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~noharmdoneband/Img1837.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Keith

Keith, after viewing your pictures and reading the various posts, as a

tech I'd
take the following steps to remedy your situation:
1) replace the one pole contactor with another 1 pole contactor, 40 amp

rating
2) cut the wiring back to clean, unburnt copper and crimp on eyelet

connectors
that attach to the contactor with screw lugs
3) replace the capacitors with either single capacitors rated for their
respective loads (condenser fan motor and compressor) or as CB mentions,

the
correct dual cap that originally came with that unit.
4) ensure that the wiring lugs at the compressor terminals are

electrically
tight, not corroded, and NOT of the male spade variety, as Turtle

mentioned.
Install split bolts if you have to.
5) like the moron tony berlin suggested, flush your condenser. what he

really
meant was wash the condenser coils to ensure cleanliness, free from dirt

and
debris.
6) ensure every high voltage electrical connection was tight, starting

from the
circuit breaker panel, to the disconnect, to the connections inside the
condenser.
7) finally, depending on a lot of factors, i may install a hard start kit.

you
see mr berlin, i'd be looking at my startup and RLA AFTER i'd completed

ALL of
the above steps.

On a side note CB, your star will shine alot brighter when you cease with

your
unprovoked attacks on SM. I give the guy credit for at least asking

questions,
its just unfortunate he had to ask them of that brain dead egotistical

tony
berlin.

"CBhvac" stephenaddressscfrewedonpurpose@carolinabreezehva c.com wrote

in
message ...

"Keith Reding" wrote in message
link.net...
I thought I would get my York central AC unit repaired well before

summer
hits. The unit is about 9 years old. Last year, the unit stopped

cooling
but the fan still ran fine. The repair guy look at it and the wires

going
from the compressor area to the capicator had melted and stopped

working.
The repair guy replaced the wires and the capicator. A few months

later
it
happened again. A different repair from another company installed a

heavy
duty wiring kit and the unit worked again for a few months then

stopped
when
the wires melted again.

Obviously the unit is pushing too much current through these wires.

friend said that it might have a starter relay on top of the

compression
that is not shutting off after the compresser is started. I have not
taken
it apart to look.

obviously...no.
You have not given the model number or serial number to the unit.

Depending
on the model and serial, you may have a couple of items, and if you

will
get
that and either post it, or send it this way, we can pull up the unit,

and
tell you what is the most likely problem.

Does this sound correct?

Nope...not always.

I don't understand why the repair guys wouldn't
know this? Any other suggestions on the cause of the problem?

See the reply above. Once I know what model and run line of unit you

have,
then its a simple matter of pulling it up on cd and badda bing...there

you
go.

The reason I need that, is that some of those had issues, that looked

one
way, and were another.

Thanks,

Keith