Stormin Mormon

Default wires to capacitor on YORK AC unit are burned and melted

Couple things. First, Turtle is a smart cookie, and from what I can read of
his posts, an excellent repairman.

I did look at a couple of the pictures. Since the wire from the cap goes to
a terminal block (and two other things) it makes me wonder if this is a load
carrying wire, not just from the comp to the cap. The wire you pointed to
with the arrow does appear smaller than the other wires.

Wonder if a dab of Noalox would be a good idea for these press on terminals?
Cut down on corrosion.

--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

"Al" wrote in message
m...
I fully agree with Turtle that the contactor (relay) is bad.

I'm not a HVAC technician, but I am an electrical engineer with 15 years of
experience testing contactors and relays. The photos show that the terminals
are corrode; chances are, the contacts of the contactor are as well. Fungus,
corrosion, and normal usage can cause an increase of resistance on
electrical contacts. An increase of resistance will cause a voltage drop to
appear across the contacts of the contactor thus making the contacts
dissipate more power (heat). From what I see, the wires are burned near the
relay. I have seen this condition many times in relays that were under
test. The contacts get hot enough to melt the insulation on the wires near
the relay but not hot enough to melt the relay. Replace the relay and the
wires and that should solve your problem.

Turtle is a smart cookie.