Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Electric head shaver

On 1/5/2019 12:56 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 1/5/19 10:14 AM, Frank wrote:
On 1/5/2019 10:00 AM, Peter wrote:
On 1/4/2019 9:25 PM, Andy wrote:
I shave my head using either a 3 bladed disposable or Norelco triple
head electric razor.

Unfortunately, using the Norelco on my head decreases blade life to
only two months.

Are there any good electric razors for head shaving with reasonably
priced blades?

My budget is around $100.

Thanks,
********** Andy

Be careful as you shop.* Just as with electric toothbrushes, many
electric razor manufacturers sell multiple models, but the main
difference is usually in the bells and whistles, not in the most
important component (brush head and shaver head, respectively).
Norelco has quite a few models of shaver head and most of them are
used on multiple models.* You might spend a lot more for a fancier
razor that uses the same head assembly as a more economical model.

Two months is an incredibly short life for a set of rotary head
blades. Do you use a pre-electric such as Williams Lectric Shave?
The pre-electrics not only lubricate the blade head - skin interface
to minimize razor burn, they lubricate the cutting edge of the blades
to provide a smoother shave with less blade wear.* One bottle is much
cheaper than a replacement set of blades and lasts longer than 2 months.

Looking at thread, I've never replaced a Norelco head in three I used
over 20 years.* Still have 2 of them and tossed one when battery
expired.* My beard is moderate and I only shave my face. I have not
used a blade since I started blood thinner 20 years ago. Maybe I am
putting up with a little stubble and heads only need replacement if
you want a super smooth shave.

I've been on an anti-coagulant a good while too and at the doc's
recommendation, switched to an electric shaver- a mid-level Norelco. I
was never really happy with the shave I got from it though and switched
back to a blade and foam.

I can't remember the last time I nicked myself because I use a two-razor
system, starting with a super-sharp disposable and a foam can that I
shake the snot out of for at least 30 seconds before I dispense any.
Stays nice and thick that way for that shave as well as for the entire can

I use a new razor on my lip and chin and press very lightly. As an old
timey real barber in a downtown barber shop that had been there since
the Great Depression told me, the secret of a real close shave is to
lather up a second time and shave again. Which I do.

After five or six shaves, that razor starts to pull a little and it gets
demoted to the razor i use on my cheeks and neck. Same double-up shaving
there too. The razor lasts for at least a dozen more cheek/neck shaves
so I have a back inventory of used lip/chin razors waiting to into
cheek/neck service.

I place a tiny rubber band around the handle of the lip/chin razor so I
don't mix them up. I remove the rubber band when it gets demoted.

Your face may have different sensitive/hard to shave zones so you'd need
to adjust where you use the new razor in the rotation.

I'm sure I could use a blade but I am just as happy with an electric. My
beard is not heavy and mostly gray so I have no 5 o'clock shadow. In
the long run cost is about the same as I don't need to buy razors or
shaving cream. Probably only takes a minute to shave with the electric.

When first hospitalized with my clotting problem, I had a roommate on
antibiotics who cut his face shaving and got infected. He was using an
old double edged razor that had broken when he put it in the razor and
not noticing it he was deeply cut. When he got infected he was allergic
to penicillin and spent 3 days in the hospital on special antibiotic drip.

I don't even let a barber use a razor.