Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default 12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Sat, 05 Jan 2019 16:08:55 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
You can buy Li-ion drop in replacements made by the likes of Bosch on
Eurocarparts.

Just been through their entire range. Plenty of Lion brand batteries,

Yip, I've got one of those in my car. When I looked up reviews, everybody was confusing them with Lithium Ion!

but no mention at all of Li-Ion. Can you give a part number?

Ok I dunno what's going on here. Yesterday I found the Bosch battery on Eurocarparts by doing a Google search for "Lithium Ion car battery". Now I'm seeing an actual lead acid Bosch. I was sure it said Lithium Ion, and at over £2 per Ah, I assumed it had to be! Lead Acids are about 60p an Ah - I bought my lead acid Lion car battery for £40, and it's 60Ah (and I tested it to make sure).

Now all I can see is this 5Ah (although you get more usable capacity with Li-Ion, lead acids don't like deep discharge) Lithium Ion for £77 on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362524512734
Or 20Ah for £200:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273372798039

At that price, forget it! I'll use lead acid. 17 times the cost for something that lasts 5 times longer, no. I also don't like the way they state "up to 2000 charge cycles" - I was under the impression lead acid was up to 1000 and Li-Ion was up to 5000. That makes them even more pointless, unless you absolutely want to save weight on a motorcycle or a racing car.

Weird they're that expensive, as I've got a mobile phone sized 20Ah (I haven't validated that claim!) Li-Ion jump starter pack which was only £20. Perhaps it's no good for continuous use in a car though. I can start the car with it, and it's handy as a USB power source to run phones, satnavs, cameras, etc, etc from when camping. They're made of 3 pouch shaped cells, Bigclive did a teardown on Youtube: https://youtu.be/0tGK1nqXr28