Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Electric head shaver

On 1/5/2019 11:27 AM, Andy wrote:
On Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 9:14:36 AM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
On 1/5/2019 10:00 AM, Peter wrote:
On 1/4/2019 9:25 PM, Andy wrote:
I shave my head using either a 3 bladed disposable or Norelco triple
head electric razor.

Unfortunately, using the Norelco on my head decreases blade life to
only two months.

Are there any good electric razors for head shaving with reasonably
priced blades?

My budget is around $100.

Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

Be careful as you shop.Â* Just as with electric toothbrushes, many
electric razor manufacturers sell multiple models, but the main
difference is usually in the bells and whistles, not in the most
important component (brush head and shaver head, respectively).Â* Norelco
has quite a few models of shaver head and most of them are used on
multiple models.Â* You might spend a lot more for a fancier razor that
uses the same head assembly as a more economical model.

Two months is an incredibly short life for a set of rotary head blades.
Do you use a pre-electric such as Williams Lectric Shave?Â* The
pre-electrics not only lubricate the blade head - skin interface to
minimize razor burn, they lubricate the cutting edge of the blades to
provide a smoother shave with less blade wear.Â* One bottle is much
cheaper than a replacement set of blades and lasts longer than 2 months.

Looking at thread, I've never replaced a Norelco head in three I used
over 20 years. Still have 2 of them and tossed one when battery
expired. My beard is moderate and I only shave my face. I have not used
a blade since I started blood thinner 20 years ago. Maybe I am putting
up with a little stubble and heads only need replacement if you want a
super smooth shave.

I think my beard and head hair dulls blades quickly.

I tried sharpening them using a method I saw on YouTube.

Andy

I just copied down my head number and may try a new head to see how it
works as it has been maybe 3 years. With current razor which is
apparently water proof as you can shave in the shower if you want, I
just shake the stubble out, rinse it off when open, then close it and
dip running razor in shallow water to clean it out.

Older models, I would remove individual blade and receptacle, brush off
and replace same blade in same receptacle. I figured mixing blades and
receptacles up might be mismatch as wear was different.

I would think that shaving both head and beard would be maybe 3X the
surface area of just beard so head life may only be 1/3.