Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 18:17:29 -0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Commander Kinsey wrote:
Bull****. I've got a very basic 4A battery charger. Just a
transformer and rectifier. If the battery is flat, it'll give out
4A. Once the battery gets full, it drops to a fraction of an amp.
Basically it just gives out 13.8V maximum - the trickle charge for a
lead acid.

The output of a basic battery charger will vary a lot due to the
transformer regulation and so on. A basic one is very unlikely to
produce a constant voltage - unless specifically for SLA gel types.

Just been reading up on Li-Ion car batteries (I assume they have
charging protection built into them so they can just be dropped into an
existing car). They cost twice as much but should last 4 times as long.
They're lighter, so motorcyclists love them, not sure the weight is
important in a car though.

All types of batteries require a different charger.

Wet lead acid is popular because it is less critical of the charging
routine than other types.

Must admit to never having heard of a Li-Ion type being used as a starter
battery in a normal car - although I can see why on a bike.

But to me, it would make more sense to use an alternator with a regulator
and wiring specially designed for the job. Rather than fudge things to
make a drop in replacement for a lead acid.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.