Keith Reding

Default wires to capacitor on YORK AC unit are burned and melted

Sounds reasonable. The first time the wires burned through it was at the
capacitor. The second time it was at the relay. The third and current time
is at the relay but the wires going to the capacitor looks fine. I will
replace the relay and wires and hopefully that will make a difference. Each
time I have had burned or melted wires they have been at the connectors so
hopefully this will fix the problem.

Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

Keith

"Al" wrote in message
m...
I fully agree with Turtle that the contactor (relay) is bad.

I'm not a HVAC technician, but I am an electrical engineer with 15 years

of
experience testing contactors and relays. The photos show that the

terminals
are corrode; chances are, the contacts of the contactor are as well.

Fungus,
corrosion, and normal usage can cause an increase of resistance on
electrical contacts. An increase of resistance will cause a voltage drop

appear across the contacts of the contactor thus making the contacts
dissipate more power (heat). From what I see, the wires are burned near

the
relay. I have seen this condition many times in relays that were under
test. The contacts get hot enough to melt the insulation on the wires near
the relay but not hot enough to melt the relay. Replace the relay and the
wires and that should solve your problem.

Turtle is a smart cookie.