John Hines

Default upgrade 100amp -> 200amp service?

Stephan Bour wrote:

Yes, the rules are probably different depending on the region and the power
Co. However, my understanding was that, if you can justify the need for more
Amps (electrical heating, woodworking shop, etc.), the power company is
obligated to upgrade the wires and meter at no charge. I know someone who
even got them to replace a whole transformer to accommodate him in a rural
area. Did you try to be a little more forceful with your company? Maybe
consult with your local representative for more info?

The term "justify the need for" more amps, can be translated to "show
them how they are going to get the money back in future billings".

They won't upgrade you, unless they have an expectation of getting the
money back, through increased bills. Simply "upgrading the service"
means thicker wires, and no more actual usage.

Now if you install a 20Kw sauna, you _will_ get you new wires. g