Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default American Chestnut

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10:27:59 AM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

I was led to believe the west-of-the-Rockies trees were fungus free,
planted by pioneers before the fungus was ever here.

I haven't read all the (link) proceedings, but it states that, even
back then (early 1900s), the western trees were, in fat, hybrids, as you say.

Which paper states that, do you recall?

States what? 1) That I was led to believe, etc., etc. .... OR 2) That western trees were hybrid?

I've read a lot in the past months. It was in one of those readings that a statement was made about the pioneer plantings being free of the fungus. Apparently that was wrong, at least to some extent, or otherwise the fungus eventually may its way over the Rockies.

I assume you're asking about #2, that the western trees were hybrids. Maybe not all the trees were hybrids. Pioneers may have planted original trees. As to the Proceedings write-up, the very beginning, "The Devastation of the American Chestnut by Blight", on page 2 left lower column. From this, I'm assuming at least some of the trees were hybrids and probably some of this planting/transplanting carried the fungus, there, in some way.

" Thus natural resistance in Asiatic chestnuts indicated an Asian origin
for the pathogen was likely. In the fall of 1912 diseased chestnut material from Agassiz, British Columbia, proved to contain E. parasitica ( Shear et
al., 1917). Chestnut was not native to British Colubbia and the Agassiz planting contained stock of American, European, and Asian origin. Although
all the trees were ordered from American nursery firms, the planting supervisor remembered the Asian species were shipped to Agassiz in the original wrappings which consisted of distinctive Asian mats and casings. "

Further on page 3,
" Furthermore, evidence from several outbreaks in ornamental and orchard plantings in the western United States proved that even limited infestations were impossible to eradicate. At the Agassiz, B.C., site, all infected trees were destroyed in 1912; however, the disease appeared on other trees in 1934 ( Gravatt, 1935). In Gunter, Oregon, the disease was found on two trees in 1929; these trees were cut and burned. However, in 1934 the fungus was still active on one stump a foot below ground ( Gravatt, 1935). In
California, the disease persisted from 1934 until at least 1945 in spite of meticulous eradication and sanitation efforts in the orchards on an annual basis ( Milbrath, 1945)."

For months I've been trying to find where I can obtain either fungus free seedlings or the nuts. I had contacted either a Michigan or Illinois "firm" (I don't recall which State) to obtain nuts. They never followed up with further communication. Subsequently, I thought western samples were my best bet.

With all the confusing (for me) info, I began to reason I should just select "X" and give it a try. So, that's where I'm at. After speaking with Willis Orchards and the Ashville folks, I'm a little more confident with selecting the Willis Orchard seedlings. These may be better adapted for the southern climate, soil, etc.

Sonny