Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Welding on the Mill

On 2018-12-30, Bob La Londe wrote:
Ok, who does it. Who welds right on the machine?

When I was first learning to setup and run my first CNC mill (a Taig 2019) I
sometimes repaired a bad cut in aluminum right on the table by filling it in
and then milling it flat. (DC spool gun) Often without shutting down the
mill. I don't recall any immediate catastrophic failures, but I sometimes
wonder if I was just lucky.

I have never done that on any of my other machines.

The question is where you connected the ground side of the
welding cables. If the current goes through the slides and/or the
bearings, there is a great liklihood of damage.

However, if the ground side is connected to the table, or to the
clamp-down bolts for the workpiece, no problems.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail