Posted to uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default 12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 12:36:58 -0000, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

It happens that David formulated :
However:
"230V. DC. Max. battery size 6Ah. Weight: 1.4kg" ????

Shirley the smallest motor car battery is around 40 Ah?

Something does not compute; I assume that the details are wrong.

I think they have their amps and amp/hours mixed up. The maximum output
is 6amps. I would be a little wary of the 'automatic' part of the
description, it reads as if it a basic transformer, rectifier with
ammeter unit with no automatic control so if left will over-charge a
battery.

Bull****. I've got a very basic 4A battery charger. Just a transformer and rectifier. If the battery is flat, it'll give out 4A. Once the battery gets full, it drops to a fraction of an amp. Basically it just gives out 13.8V maximum - the trickle charge for a lead acid. The battery itself prevents overcharge by taking far less current once it's full. Lead acids are very easy to charge without complicated circuitry. You only need complicated circuitry if you want to charge them really fast. How do you think a car alternator works? It just feeds 14.4V to the battery continuously. Probably a bad idea 24/7, but the car ain't running 24/7.