Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Clanking radiator expansion...

Jim K.. wrote:

(Roger Hayter) Wrote in message:
Jim K.. wrote:

ISTR ch radiator brackets come with some plastic "insulators" that
the rad actual bears on, to presumably allow the expansion of the
rad etc without the infernal clanking I've got on one of
mine...

Sources, proper names, good bodges, alternatives please?

TIA

When the local branch of Travis Perkins supplied a hopelessly packed (by
the manufacturer) Myson fan radiator it came with all the brackets and
their mounting points slightly bent and the plasitc u-shaped inserts
chewed up. As this was their second attempt (the first delivery had the
main panels grossly bent) I agreed to straighten the brackets and
mountings if they supplied the plastic inserts. By return (of 20 ton
lorry!) I got a strip of five of them, still joined from the original
injection process. So they are a freely available commodity, probably
from plumbers' merchants, and probably not expensive. Also pretty
standard I think.

No chance they just nicked them from another box then ? ;-)

No, partly because they had none of them in local stock, but mainly
because the radiator only had two, and these were at the joints between
two hefty chunks of metal with packing surrounding them. I was only
expecting two replacements!

--

Roger Hayter