Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Freezers - still using **** insulation?

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 19:15:49 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 12:50:48 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/2/2019 10:59 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 15:49:26 -0000, danny burstein
wrote:

In "Commander Kinsey"
writes:

You've made an invalid assumption. Every modern freezer I've seen
runs for the same time as older ones, and they cool at the same
rate. So clearly the compressor outputs the same cooling, but using
less electricity. All well and good, but I can feel the cold escaping
from the unit.

"cold escaping". There you go doubling down on your stupidity again.

There's no reason to think of it as heat. Have you never calculated
current flow imagining it flows from + to -?

You can't make cold unless you change the laws of physics. You don't
lose cold, you gain heat.

You essentially can lose cold. It I have a picnic cooler and it has two
pounds of ice in it and I take one pound out, it's lost some cold without
gaining heat, except for the negligible heat of the small amount of air
that replaces it. Make it replaced by a vacuum, if you like.

Now you're getting philosophical. Kinda like the argument that when you pee, it comes out at body temperature, so you're losing heat, yet you don't get colder.

To make sense of your picnic cooler and the peeing, really you're not losing heat or cold, you're actually changing what you are. You now contain less pee, the cooler contains less ice. You've changed the composition of the object, so to think of it as losing cold or heat is meaningless. But I was talking about a fridge/freezer which still contains the same food, the door was left closed, all that's changed is the heat/cold in it.