Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Freezers - still using **** insulation?

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 16:47:53 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 16:35:47 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire
wrote:
Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 00:53:48 -0000, Clare Snyder
wrote:
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:42:21 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:19:36 -0000, danny burstein
wrote:
In "Commander Kinsey"
writes:

How's about starting off the new year with a resolution
to research issues a bit more closely. Like, in this
case, how much power those motors are drawing when
running today versus 30 years ago.

Which has nothing to do with insulation.

Bzzt. They're all interconnected.

And your rants have nothing to do with reality or
thinking.

Find a five year old to explain basic thermodynamics
to you.

A lower power motor does not affect the R value of the
insulation. Are you quite mad? Do you really think if you put a
more efficient boiler in your house that your house will
magically gain better insulation and cool more slowly?
It doesn't affect the R value of the insulation but it may addect
the run time of the compressor which is your only half-baked clue
that your new freezer has no better insulation than your old one.

You've made an invalid assumption. Every modern freezer I've seen
runs for the same time as older ones, and they cool at the same
rate. So clearly the compressor outputs the same cooling, but using
less electricity. All well and good, but I can feel the cold
escaping from the unit. And I notice the compressor has to keep
running just as often as it used to,. So obviously the insulation
sux. Oh and also, just have a look at the energy consumption
ratings, which vary by a factor of 4 between different models. Looks
like a a lot of them are rubbish.

Make, model and age?

Take your pick and explain the difference of 5 to 19p running cost:
https://www.sust-it.net/energy-savin...freezers-large

Answer my question.

There is no specific answer, as I'm referring to many modern fridge freezers, most of which aren't mine.