Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Experiences of wood floor with Underfloor Heating

On Wednesday, 2 January 2019 15:55:37 UTC, cf-leeds wrote:
Hi all,

I've recently put UFH in the newly united kitchen/dining rooms, as part of a totally new extensive project. This is water based with three pipe runs that provide good coverage of the space.

On top of the UFH is a QuickTherm Vapour Underlay, as recommended by the flooring supplier. The flooring is 15mm engineered oak finish, with the following spec:

Approx. veneer thickness of 3.2mm
Locking Joint - Floating install

The advice for underfloor heating from the flooring install guide is as follows:

"Maximum allowed temperature on top of the floor underneath the floorboards is 27 °C. Please note that normal loose carpets/rugs insulate i.e. increase the floor surface temperature by about 2 °C!"

I have the UFH running at 27 degrees C - After several hours, the floor is just not getting noticeably warm, neither is the room.

Does anyone have any experience of running a higher temperature under a wood floor. Most manufacturers seem to state 27 degrees max, but are they just covering their arses ? I mean, If I ran at 35 degrees for example, would it really be running a risk with the flooring.

I went to my neighbour's house, as they said that their UFH (installed a year ago) was working a treat with their wood floor. I looked at their UFH manifold and was amazed to see they're running it at 50+ degrees. I think they're oblivious to the guidelines.

Thanks for any advice (even if that includes adding rads and shutting off the UFH)

c.

How effective your UFH is depends on several factors.
If not working adequately, there's too much insulating material covering it, the UFH pipes are too small/short, there is insufficient insulation beneath the floor slab or the water is not hot enough.
ie all design errors.
Increasing water temperature will increase the heat transferred but reduce boiler efficiency.

It takes a few days for UFH to warm through, they have to be permanently"on".
They respond only slowly to weather changes, which is why many people have a "mixed "system (ie UFH + some radiators.)