Posted to uk.d-i-y
cf-leeds cf-leeds is offline

Default Experiences of wood floor with Underfloor Heating

Hi all,

I've recently put UFH in the newly united kitchen/dining rooms, as part of a totally new extensive project. This is water based with three pipe runs that provide good coverage of the space.

On top of the UFH is a QuickTherm Vapour Underlay, as recommended by the flooring supplier. The flooring is 15mm engineered oak finish, with the following spec:

Approx. veneer thickness of 3.2mm
Locking Joint - Floating install

The advice for underfloor heating from the flooring install guide is as follows:

"Maximum allowed temperature on top of the floor underneath the floorboards is 27 °C. Please note that normal loose carpets/rugs insulate i.e. increase the floor surface temperature by about 2 °C!"

I have the UFH running at 27 degrees C - After several hours, the floor is just not getting noticeably warm, neither is the room.

Does anyone have any experience of running a higher temperature under a wood floor. Most manufacturers seem to state 27 degrees max, but are they just covering their arses ? I mean, If I ran at 35 degrees for example, would it really be running a risk with the flooring.

I went to my neighbour's house, as they said that their UFH (installed a year ago) was working a treat with their wood floor. I looked at their UFH manifold and was amazed to see they're running it at 50+ degrees. I think they're oblivious to the guidelines.

Thanks for any advice (even if that includes adding rads and shutting off the UFH)

c.