Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Bennet Andy Bennet is offline

Default Gas boilers

On 02/01/2019 15:28, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Bob Minchin wrote :
Andy Bennet wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:54, GB wrote:
On 02/01/2019 13:47, Andy Bennet wrote:
I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut.
Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

You can power those from a small generator.

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?

Mine does and a UPS but possibly not the norm for a non DIY person to
take sensible precautions against inconvenience.

I have the boiler, cooker and micro, which needs electric. The hob works
without, if I use a match and a gas fire with no need for electric. In
the drive I have the caravan to fall back on in the drive, it can use
its own gas for heat, battery to ignite and blow. It has a gas cooker
and hob, battery ignition, battery lights. Three way fridge freezer. So
that is my final backup option, for an extended power loss.

We have an EV. Always keep it fully charged in the winter months. If we
do get an extended power cut in extreme whether we can go and sit in the
EV and use the heater to keep us warm, and have hot soup. 40kWh goes a
long way!