Dustin

Default smokey room when fireplace is going

Thanks for the help, perhaps this is my problem. In this particular
case, I did have the fire going really well with quite a bit of wood
in the fireplace. Also, the wood is getting a little old, so it
doesn't burn as long, dunno if that makes it burn faster? (and thus
more smoke)

Anyway, good points, I'll take them into consideration. And as the
other poster said, I hope it's not a skeleton stuck in our chimney!

Thanks again..

-Dustin

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 21:32:48 -0500, "James Nipper"
wrote:

That flap that opens up just above your firebox is indeed a damper. Make
sure it is fully open.

Try this the next time it smokes: Open an outside door or a window (in
the same room as the fireplace) about 1/2 way, and watch to see if the smoke
goes away. If it does (and I bet it does), then your house may be a bit
too airtight, and as another poster said, the fire has to get its air
**somewhere.**

I have also found that my fireplace, which draws well, will often smoke
when I first light it up, but after the flu has warmed well with a good fire
(perhaps 30 mins or so), the smoke will clear away. On a first fire, I
frequently have to open a glass sliding door halfway or even fully open, for
the first 30 mins or so.

BTW, always make sure you have a flu inspection at the beginning of each
season, to make sure you have no blockage and no soot buildup, either of
which could cause a fire.

Hope this helps !!

--James--