Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Carpet Cleaner

On Tuesday, 1 January 2019 19:59:03 UTC, RJH wrote:

Just about DIY? My brother's asked me to check Which? for carpet
cleaners, and it's come up with a Bissell Clean View Deep Clean 18Z7E.
In fact, this was the only Best Buy by a long chalk. £350, which he can
afford he tells me.

Anybody and recommendations please? He's got a big house, white carpets
and a dog.

I hired a Rug Doctor a while back and it seemed fine, but I think he
wants to buy and have a machine to hand.

Seems a lot of money for what it does. The key features are contrarotating brushes & pumped solution delivery. Machines without those are better avoided. Also years ago I heard of a lot of Bissell bladder machine failures & incompatibility with some solutions. Spot cleaning is no more useful than carrying a paint brush or spray or squirt bottle etc.

One plus that has is heating, I find heated solution works rather better. I just use warm water when filling. I'd look for other machines at lower price but with the important features.

Oh - one tip, forget buying the carpet cleaning solution, washing powder is much better. Bleach, ammonia & vinegar can be useful for carpets that haven't otherwise cleaned up - not mixed together obviously. And of course bleach is only for bleachable carpets, which most aren't.

NT