Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default dummies 1-0-1, was: Freezers - still using **** insulation?

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 22:26:04 -0000, danny burstein wrote:

In "Commander Kinsey" writes:

If the insulation was better than that used 30 years ago,
then the time between switching off and back on again
would be longer, as less cold would leak out -

First, there's no such thing as "cold leaking out". It's
the heat leaking in.

It's just a way of thinking. Most people think of power flowing from + to - of a battery, although we all know it's electrons flowing from - to +. It really doesn't make any difference.

Second, have you considered that just maybe the thermostat
on the newer unit is accurate enough that it switches the
compressor on after a 0.5 degree rise in temperature as opposed
to waiting for a 5 degree swing?

Of course you haven't.

Of course I have, I'm also considering the total time it's running, which is similar to older ones. And since it can cool it from room temperature (when it was off for a holiday or when I bought it) to normal running temperature in the same time as an older model, the output of the compressor must be similar. So why is it running just as often? The only answer can be **** insulation (backed up by the fact that the outside of the walls feel cold).