Posted to uk.d-i-y
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default 12V battery charger from Screwfix - specifications?

In article ,
says...

I think they have their amps and amp/hours mixed up. The maximum output
is 6amps. I would be a little wary of the 'automatic' part of the
description, it reads as if it a basic transformer, rectifier with
ammeter unit with no automatic control so if left will over-charge a
battery.

I'd certainly agree with the first part of that - the same
error occurs in the spec for the 4A version as well.
Interestingly, both entries carry exactly the same series of
customer reviews!

It seems to be impossible to find a detailed specification for
these chargers. I found a document relating to the larger
6/12V switchable 8 & 12A versions but these are only operating
instructions. The nearest irt comes to a specification is to
state the maximum charge rates but, at least, is does say that
the 12A version is suitable bir batteries up to 160 Ah and up
to 112 Ah the 8A version so, pro rata, the figure for the 6A
one underdiscussion here is likekly to be in the region 0f 75
- 80 Ah.

As to whether it is really 'automatic' or not, if it isn't,
surely that will be a serious offence under the Trade
Descriptions Act?

You can always ask, though:

Technical enquiries:

--