Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Freezers - still using **** insulation?

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 19:05:09 -0500, Roger Wilco
wrote:

On 12/31/18 4:07 PM, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why is mine always running?* It doesn't seem to have a lower duty cycle than the old ones of 30 years ago.* Sure, the power consumption (according to the label) is less, but shouldn't
they have better insulation nowadays?* Or was all that banned by the greenies for that ozone nonsense?

The really high R-value foams are much more expensive...which adds cost to the unit. And some of the high-performance foam out-gasses which upsets the environmental whackos.

Truth be told, most people ignore the Energy Guide label and just buy the shiny stainless steel model. Energy Star? What's that?

That may be true over in ol' Limey but I'd say here in Ontario
Canada, at least, the amount of expensive electricity a device
consumes is a BIG factor for the average educated buyer.

The good insulation foams are no longer blown with hydroflourocarbons
= and quite often not even with CO2