Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
dkol dkol is offline

Default Freezers - still using **** insulation?

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 00:05:09 -0000, Roger Wilco wrote:

On 12/31/18 4:07 PM, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why
is mine always running? It doesn't seem to have a lower duty cycle than
the old ones of 30 years ago. Sure, the power consumption (according to
the label) is less, but shouldn't
they have better insulation nowadays? Or was all that banned by the
greenies for that ozone nonsense?

The really high R-value foams are much more expensive...which adds cost
to the unit. And some of the high-performance foam out-gasses which
upsets the environmental whackos.

Truth be told, most people ignore the Energy Guide label and just buy the
shiny stainless steel model. Energy Star? What's that?

Maybe if the energy guide label had actual numbers people would take
notice.

Not a chance and we know they don't because others do it that way.

A to G is not useful.

But it does at least let you rank them.

But 50kWh per year is, people can quickly establish how much it will save
them per year, and if it's worth buying the more expensive model.

Not possible given that the number of kWHs depends
on where its kept. You'll get a completely different result
when its kept in the kitchen of a place well heated in
winter and when its kept in the garage that isnt heated etc.

When you buy a car, it doesn't have a rating from A to G, it has miles
per gallon, so you can work out how much petrol it will cost you.

No you can't because most don't actually drive that way.