View Single Post
  #15   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
external usenet poster

Default Freezers - still using **** insulation?

On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 00:05:09 -0000, Roger Wilco wrote:

On 12/31/18 4:07 PM, William Gothberg wrote:
I thought modern freezers were meant to have better insulation, so why is mine always running? It doesn't seem to have a lower duty cycle than the old ones of 30 years ago. Sure, the power consumption (according to the label) is less, but shouldn't
they have better insulation nowadays? Or was all that banned by the greenies for that ozone nonsense?

The really high R-value foams are much more expensive...which adds cost to the unit. And some of the high-performance foam out-gasses which upsets the environmental whackos.

Truth be told, most people ignore the Energy Guide label and just buy the shiny stainless steel model. Energy Star? What's that?

Maybe if the energy guide label had actual numbers people would take notice. A to G is not useful. But 50kWh per year is, people can quickly establish how much it will save them per year, and if it's worth buying the more expensive model. When you buy a car, it doesn't have a rating from A to G, it has miles per gallon, so you can work out how much petrol it will cost you.