Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default American Chestnut

On 12/30/2018 2:14 PM, dpb wrote:

I don't even know for sure about the VPI ones altho one hopes...

The individuals I knew by name are, not surprisingly, no longer at VPI
(they're all _well_ past retirement age by now, of course) and a (very)
quick DAGS didn't uncover much current work at VPI; it appears the focus
has gone to the American Chestnut Foundation rather than so many
individual programs/grants that were the pattern then..

I didn't find any online pictures of the specimens they were guarding
which also doesn't surprise me much given the time frame and their
almost paranoia about the location becoming known to the general public
for fear of poachers...the location of one earlier specimen of even
larger size had gotten out and it had been harvested by somebody in the
dead of the night so they had reason for concern...

I did find one image of one up in W MA...

https://d279m997dpfwgl.cloudfront.net/wp/2018/04/chestnut1.jpg