Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default American Chestnut

As I understand, original trees or growth will sprout from root/trunk stock, but after about 5 years, the blight will kill them. The blight bug is in those areas, still. If this is correct, original growth is still available, but only when young.

I'm hoping the Morrow area has no blight infestation in the area, despite its propensity to migrate by seemingly various means. I suppose aspect of infestation may flow down the Miss. River, but hopefully Morrow is far enough away from the flood plain not to be affected.

Two year old trees only cost $20 ea., so a potential stand of 10-20 trees, plus labor, is not that much of a gamble. Two yr old trees seem to have a better survival rate than the 1 yr olds ($17 ea), when transplanting, so I'm considering getting the 2 yr olds.

Sonny