Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.electronics,alt.sci.physics
William Gothberg[_3_] William Gothberg[_3_] is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 17:00:35 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 11:45:09 AM UTC-5, William Gothberg wrote:
I don't own a design company, I was asking WHY. FFS just answer the question.

And it's been answered, by many posters, many times now. All agree, but
you won't accept it. Much of what you post is just stupid, like not
understanding, or pretending not to understand, that with too much
power you will COOK parts of something
that you just want to DEFROST, because the heating is not even. Anyone
who has used a microwave to defrost things understands that.

Funny how I can defrost stuff on full power just fine.

As do the microwave oven manufacturers, that have defrost settings, that use low
power and even give that off time after about a minute and a half, so
that the food won't overheat and cook in areas. If you have a frozen
pork chop that you want to DEFROST, so you can brine it, marinate it,
grill it, etc., you want it DEFROSTED, not half cooked.

I don't microwave huge lumps of food like that. So, you could have a 2kW microwave where anyone cooking a roast could still turn it down to what they used to use, but if you want to heat soup, or defrost a pizza, you can use 2kW and get it done very quickly.

And the same
principle applies to things you want to cook. Because the heating is
not perfectly even, if you give it too much power, parts will be overcooked,
while other parts are not done.

Only if your food is more than twice as thick as the microwave penetration distance.

Even with today's ovens I use 70%
or less power many times just to reheat leftovers. Higher power, parts
start to spatter, overheat, cheese starts to separate into oil, etc.,
while other parts are still cold.

Doesn't happen to me at all. List some of the foods that go wrong when reheated on full power.