Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default Low power space heater?

On 12/29/2018 01:58 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 13:14:15 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

On 12/29/2018 07:41 AM, Thomas wrote:
Aladdin lamp

Those are kerosene, silly.

Last time I saw 5 gal. cans in HD, it was $35 ~ 7.40 a gallon plus
tax. Lamp oil is expensive to.

It's gotten crazy. Back in the '90s when I was living out in the AZ
desert winters I had an Aladdin lantern. They are great since they have
a mantle and put out as much light as a propane or gasoline lantern
without the noise. I could buy kerosene from a gas station in Ajo where
they pumped it out of a 55 gallon drum. I forget exactly how much it was
but it wasn't expensive.

Even the lanterns themselves have gotten insane:

http://www.aladdin-us.com/page/778455

I'm certain I didn't pay $180 for mine.

Then there was the long arm of the law... The mantles contained thorium
which was determined to be harmful to small children and liberals. For a
few years it was almost impossible to find mantles until they found
something that works almost as good. Almost.