Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Low power space heater?

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 12:47:04 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
trader_4 wrote in
:

On Friday, December 28, 2018 at 1:05:59 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating
in my mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I
don't have heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff
like a refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than
worrying about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up
the temps a bit when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in
SW AZ so cold to me is 50s - 60s.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a
space heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any
breaker tripping the heater might.

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA

A heat pump, maybe mini-split could work well in that environment.
You would be getting 3x+ what you would from electric resistance heat.

That's a new one to me. I'll have to research it. Sounds like a winner.

Having seen the other replies, I think it might be a solution for
heating/cooling the whole place and it may be less expensive to run
than propane. With minis you can have two or three inside units
running off one outside condenser. You can run them independently,
don't have to run them all, etc. But they are in the several thousand
dollar range, not cheap. AZ is a good climate for heat pump, but then
you're probably not burning all that much propane either, so the
economics may not make sense.

For just heating a small kitchen, the other
ideas are better. I'd try just a small electric heater with a fan,
you can get them for $25 at Walmart. I have one here that I used
on my boat. Or the parabolic radiant type,
which heats what it's pointed at. How well that works in a kitchen
IDK. It works great if you're in one spot and it's aimed at you.
Costco has them.