Rodger

Default Iron out in water softener, toxic?

I too have been wondering how these anti-iron water softener products
work and what they affect they might have on our health.

I just got off the phone with Morton Salt company and they answered my
question.

The active ingredient in Morton® Rust Remover Super Pellens® is Citric
Acid. I am very familiar with the ability of citric acid to remove
iron and iron stains. It does an exceptional job!! If your dishwasher
tub is iron stained, fill the detergent dispenser with citric acid,
and run it through a cycle. You'll be amazed how this stuff makes the
tub look new. Here's a source for citric acid.

http://www.chemistrystore.com/Citric_Acid.htm

Its health risks are non-existent as far as I'm concerned. Citric acid
is present in many food products at much higher concentrations than
what you'll find in your treated water. If it was in your softened
water at concentrations as high as what is found in Kool-aid or
Sweet-Tarts, your water would be sour. Now that I know this, I would
use the Morton pellets instead of Iron Out.