Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Low power space heater?

In alt.home.repair, on 28 Dec 2018 18:05:55 GMT, KenK
wrote:

Is there such a thing as a low power space heater? My central heating in my
mobile home is propane which has become too expensive to use. I don't have
heat in the kitchen and I have relatively high power stuff like a
refrigerator, MW oven, bread machine, etc. there. Rather than worrying
about tripping the breaker can anyone think of a way to up the temps a bit
when I'm in there for any length of time? I live in SW AZ so cold to me is
50s - 60s.

For some strange reason, temperatures that woudl seem warm outside seem
cold inside. Even wearing the same clothes. 60 is cold inside.

I have a swamp cooler there whose AC receptacle would be available in
winter but I'm afraid it doesn't use nearly as much current as a space
heater so that though the swamp cooler doesn't cause any breaker tripping
the heater might.

If all you have to do is reset the breaker, try it and see. AFAIK all
breakers are 15 amps or more and most space heaters I've seen are 1100
watts, which is less than 15 amps.

But electricity is usually expensive. Will it be cheaper than propane?

Put in a little fan to blow warm air from part of the place to the
kitchen.

Wear a sweater. (That's my mother's recommendation, and indeed, I think
that was the standard until some time after WWII. Look at Father Knows
Best. I think it's still the standard in most of the world. (Although
there is another way to look at it: I've spend $90 to be almost warm,
and if I spend just 4 or 5 dollars more, I can be actually warm. Your
numbers may vary. Void where prohibited by law.)

Suggestions? Experiences?

TIA