Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Garrett Dave Garrett is offline

Default Door lock lube?

In article ,
says...

On 12/24/2018 12:46 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On 24 Dec 2018 18:07:47 GMT, KenK wrote:

I see PTFE formula listed for such products as 3 in 1 Dry Lock lube and
several others. So far I've been using little graphite tubes for door and
building locks - usually spraying it on the key, inserting and turning a
few times. The tubes very quickly run out of graphite and cost about $1.50.
I'm thinking of switching to the 3 in 1 product instead. Any experiences or
remarks before I do so?

TIA

I use AGS Lock Ease colloidal graphite solution when I need or want
graphite in a lock.
(
https://www.lawsonproducts.ca/AGS/Lo...Fluid/58570.lp)

seems ti be hard to find in that plastic bottle now - most everyone
carries the aerosol instead. I'ce had my little plastic bottle for
YEARS.

I use the Lock-Ease aerosol and it works well. Two caveats: beware of
the blowback and don't use it on bicycle locks with plastic internals. I
can't remember when I bought the 3 oz can but it's still going strong.

I recently upgraded all of the locks in my house to higher-quality
Schlage models. I had a locksmith come out to rekey them, and mentioned
that I'd been having trouble with the old locks sticking every few
months. I'd always used graphite to lubricate them, and was surprised
when the locksmith told me that he never used graphite and had serviced
countless locks where he'd had to clean them out to get them working
properly again after an overzealous application of the stuff.

His recommendation? WD-40. I'd always heard it was bad to use WD-40 on
locks, but this guy, who has been a locksmith for more than 40 years,
said he would use nothing else. YMMV.

--
Dave