Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.electronics,uk.d-i-y
William Gothberg William Gothberg is offline

Default Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains?

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 02:55:55 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news
On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 23:07:42 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 19:25:49 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 04:27:41 -0000, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:39:50 -0000, "William Gothberg" "William
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:34:11 -0000, whisky-dave

wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 16:21:43 UTC, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/19/18 6:01 AM, William Gothberg wrote:

[snip]

They probably are fairly crude. I know they flicker, for
example
if
use my cordless drill, the chuck appears to spin the wrong way
under
the
LED lighting.
I remember seeing that with a washing machine (under fluorescent
lights). As the tub was slowing down, the row of holes around the
tub
would appear to reverse direction. Same thing with (spoked) wagon
wheels
in movies.

You can also observe such things using a smartphone that has a high
FPS
rate for recodring movie.
I can see the labs lights flicker when I film at 240FPS standard
60
and everything seems fine.

Everybody seems to constantly cut corners. Lights should just be
on,
no
flicker at all. ****ing annoying if you have decent eyesight, I can
see
the flicker from almost everyone's LED tail lights.

This is sounding more and more like our "engineer friend" who needs
to do his own tire repairs and alignments and clutch repairs.

Don't know who you're referring to, but what's wrong with striving for
perfection?

It increases costs for everyone who isnt a freak.

There's perfection and there's perfection. You for example like LEDs
you
can control the colour of, nothing wrong with that. But OCD folk take
things too far, like washing their car every day because of two specks
of
dust.

All irrelevant to whether it makes any sense to design
all car lights so that no freak ever sees any flicker at all.

When "freak" is half the population,

Half the population don't see car lights flicker.

Agreed, and the other half do.

you need to account for them.

Nope.

If you think they're a minority,

I know there are.

why does google have 4.5 million results for the car light flicker?

Just a few mindlessly ranting freaks, like you.

I must have asked about 30 people I know about it, and about half agreed it was irritating.