Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Velux roof window

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 20/12/2018 12:33, Brian Reay wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
Building control are stressing about the lack of a protected exit from a
bedroom in the chalet bungalow.

One way out:-) would be a top hung roof light. Marley concrete tiles.

Anyone done one? Any reasons why it needs a professional roofer?

We have several of these - 6 - with the best will in the world, I
wouldnt
like to have to climb out of one. As for anyone say 5ft tall doing it,
near on impossible. In our house, there is only a 1/2 flight of stairs
(perhaps 8) to the primary exit so it isnt an issue (the house is split
level). However, Im always curious when I see reference to Velux windows
(which are great as windows) as an escape route.

There are rules for how far a MoE windows can be above the floor and
how far from the eaves. Basically they should be easy to step out of,
and close enough to the eves for someone on a ladder to be able to
reach you.

In fact IIRC there is a picture of my arse existing one...

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...RoofWindow.jpg

One can have too much detail:-)

(the step down being made easier by the lack of a sloping surface at
that point)

Quite. Still better than no way out.

--
Tim Lamb