Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default What freezer for garage

RobH wrote:
We have a totally separate, from the house, garage, and want to put a
freezer in it.
One place we looked around , the guy told us that upright freezers don't
do so well in garages if it gets very cold, like minus 4 or 5C. He said
it was the compressor which breaks down if it is not covered over or
insulated, and this doesn't happen with chest freezers.

Is there any truth in that , as we know a few people who have either
upright freezers or fridges in their garages.

Probably the coldest temperature I have know here in the last 20 years
is about -9 in 2010, and regularly get down to -4 or -5C in the winter.

Any do's or don'ts , or even recommendations.

Thanks

We needed one for our garage. As you probably know, normal domestic ones
arent suitable for ambient temp found in garages etc. However, we found a
John Lewis Chest freezer which was specified for outbuilding use. When
middle daughter wanted an upright freezer for her garage, John Lewis came
up trumps again. Both own brand, good warranty, delivery, price etc.

We had an old one which lasted years first in a shed in our previous house
then in the garage in current house. We bought it in about 1990. We
replaced it with the JL one last year or so. While it still worked, the
seal had failed. As I recall, it cost about £90 in 1990. I cant recall the
brand, I suspect Tricity.