Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair,alt.electronics
Snicker Snicker is offline

Default Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains?

In article , "William
says...

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:34:11 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 16:21:43 UTC, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/19/18 6:01 AM, William Gothberg wrote:

[snip]

They probably are fairly crude. I know they flicker, for example if I
use my cordless drill, the chuck appears to spin the wrong way under the
LED lighting.
I remember seeing that with a washing machine (under fluorescent
lights). As the tub was slowing down, the row of holes around the tub
would appear to reverse direction. Same thing with (spoked) wagon wheels
in movies.

You can also observe such things using a smartphone that has a high FPS rate for recodring movie.
I can see the labs lights flicker when I film at 240FPS standard 60 and everything seems fine.

Everybody seems to constantly cut corners. Lights should just be on, no flicker at all. ****ing annoying if you have decent eyesight, I can see the flicker from almost everyone's LED tail lights.

Then stop looking at them.