Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Terry Casey Terry Casey is offline

Default Static electricity to the eyeball?

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Terry Casey scribeth thus

The output side will be earthed to
the mains by the Set Top Box or internet router.

How's that Terry seeing that most all of the net routers have a wall
wart supply and the only set top box here has a figure of 8 cable and no
earth?.

Tony, yes, you are right but when I used to come into contact
with a lot of set top boxes, in particular, they were in metal
housings with three core mains leads.

Now, of course, it is all wall warts and plastic!

However, the fact remains that the customer side of the
isolator is never connected to earth, at least with Eastside
Cable, Encom, Bell Cablemedia, Cable & Wireless
Communications, ntl: and Virgin Media.

Of course, I have no knowledge of the many other companies
which have existed over the years but given that the isolator
is fitted immediately on entry to the building and there is no
guarantee that an earth connection would be conveniently
available, I think it highly unlikely.

--

Terry

---