Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] frankcovending@gmail.com is offline

Default Home LED Flickers

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 3:55:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, 17 December 2018 20:10:27 UTC, wrote:
On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 4:25:43 PM UTC-5, tabby wrote:
On Sunday, 16 December 2018 20:46:34 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 7:44:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I got a 60W Equliv. LED bulb in a fixture that flickers all the time.
Its not very old. It does produce enough light but gets annoying after
awhile. They only cost a buck or two, so i'll just replace it, but I
wonder what is causing the flicker?

My guess is a cheap electrolytic in the rectifier, but I have never
really seen a schematic for how they are wired.

This is my opinion. They are made very cheaply they aren't made with much shielding so anything can cause them to flicker.

that simply isn't so. The nature of the circuits makes them robust against RFI.

NT

Nevermind my comment on RF. I had my thought train crossing.

I do think these are made cheaply and they would have to be in order to turn a profit. As far as RF, nah that isn't going to cause flicker. The bulb itself is DC and if there was any RF it would simply be super imposed onto a DC bias which the amplitude from any RFI would be so insignificant and wouldn't matter because well it's a diode. The driver shouldn't respond to RFI because it's an AC/DC converter and the DC is probably being switched which alone would cause RF. Just the AC is creating a field.

The reason the driver doesn't cause flicker in response to RFI is it consists of
1. rectifier & reservoir, which couldn't care less what comes its way
2. oscillator, which is too busy slamming into one rail after the other for rfi to make much difference.

If there were low level analogue signals getting amplified it might be a different story.

I really couldn't say exactly what is causing the flicker because I am not present to check the entire circuit.

the OP never gave us enough info to narrow it down at all.

NT

RF aside the simple answer is it flickers because the person didn't install it correctly, the wiring is crap, or the lamp is a POS. they are made to be replaced