Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] frankcovending@gmail.com is offline

Default Home LED Flickers

On Sunday, December 16, 2018 at 4:25:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sunday, 16 December 2018 20:46:34 UTC, wrote:
On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 7:44:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I got a 60W Equliv. LED bulb in a fixture that flickers all the time.
Its not very old. It does produce enough light but gets annoying after
awhile. They only cost a buck or two, so i'll just replace it, but I
wonder what is causing the flicker?

My guess is a cheap electrolytic in the rectifier, but I have never
really seen a schematic for how they are wired.

This is my opinion. They are made very cheaply they aren't made with much shielding so anything can cause them to flicker.

that simply isn't so. The nature of the circuits makes them robust against RFI.

NT

Nevermind my comment on RF. I had my thought train crossing.

I do think these are made cheaply and they would have to be in order to turn a profit. As far as RF, nah that isn't going to cause flicker. The bulb itself is DC and if there was any RF it would simply be super imposed onto a DC bias which the amplitude from any RFI would be so insignificant and wouldn't matter because well it's a diode. The driver shouldn't respond to RFI because it's an AC/DC converter and the DC is probably being switched which alone would cause RF. Just the AC is creating a field. I really couldn't say exactly what is causing the flicker because I am not present to check the entire circuit. As far as what can cause it. Bad wiring, bad can, bad bulb, corrosion, bulb not installed all the way. Things of that nature. Could be a bad solder joint. I have a Saab which has a bulb out detector. These are notorious for bad solder joints and the symptoms are a headlamp bulb that can flicker or come on and out and you know it all responds to vibration and of course temperature for obvious reasons.

Bring back that cheaply made stuff. Yeah they aren't exactly made to last forever because you need to consider the planned obsolesce part. Yes they have been known to last 10+ years but not all of them do and it is because of chance or was it designed to? One can pickup these 60W equivalent 2 packs in HD for 5 bucks when they are on clearance. The retailer still makes a profit the distributor makes a profit the designer, etc. Everyone still gets their money. Maybe not the amount they had in mind by they never give away anything.

My worthless 2 cents