Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressors - kinda on topic !

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

On 2018-12-08, Bob La Londe wrote:
I may have a similar problem with my small lathe. It quit yesterday. Had
couple slow starts where I pushed it with the collet closer handle to get
it
going, and now nothing. The fact that its nothing "not even a hum" mkes
me
wonder of the on/direction switch is bad. Fortunately I had radiused just
enough alignment pins for the projects that were finishing yesterday.

The lack of hum may be a function of how big a motor, and where
it happens to have stopped.

But given the slow starts, you very likely have let the smoke
out of the start capacitor.

I had that problem with a 1-1/2 HP motor, wired for 120 VAC
operation. Slow starts when belted for high speed, and occasional
tripping of the circuit breaker for that outlet. After it blew I
replaced the starting cap, re-wired the motor and switch for 240 VAC
operation, and connected it to a 240 VAC outlet, and it has worked well
ever since. (Some of these days, I'll swap in a 3-phase motor and a
VFD so I get variable speed as well, without having to shift belts all
the time. :-)

*****************
Actually there were some bad connections at a little terminal block on the
motor. The terminal block looked like white ceramic, but crumbled like
dried paste. There were actually two wires that were no longer connected
when I lifted the crumbling block of paste away from the motor. There was
so little wire sticking out of the motor the only way to repair the was to
use butt splices. I had to use front cutting wire strippers, and front
crimping crimpers.

Next time it fails my plan (like you) is to throw a small 3 phase motor on
the lathe with a VFD. To keep it 110V I'll use one of those little 1HP 110V
in 220V out Hitachis (or similar). Its got a 3/4 hp motor on it now. Its
so old the motor was made in Taiwan, not China. In fact its so old it says
Repubic of China. I hve a couple 3/4HP 3phase motoros on the shelf I picked
up somewhere that would do. A 2 pole and a 4 pole. Figured the 4 pole
would be ideal. I've never really had a power issue on that small lathe.
The rigidity of the machine limits me somewhat. I want to keep it 110V
because Its a finished wall where I plan to leave the machine, and I don't
have 220V to that location.