Paul

Default Iron out in water softener, toxic?

If you look on the back of the large size of IronOut, it recommends
spreading IronOut with every 50 lbs of salt. I think the recommended
amount is 1 cup, but I'm not sure and I don't have the container
handy.

I've been doing this for about 7 years and have never tasted any
traces of a foreign chemical or salt in the drinking water. My well
water has quite a bit of iron and I also have a whole house filter
after the water softener. I've never had a problem with my water
softener as a result of the iron.

However, I am skeptical of using salt that contains a iron removing
product. Some people say water from a water softener with the iron
removing salt pellets has a funny taste.

(Chris Szilagyi) wrote in message om...
Hello,
I am curious to know if adding Iron Out to a water softener is toxic
for drinking? Also what are the long-term effects on the softener
itself from doing this?

We do not drink the soft water directly, we run it through a reverse
osmosis filter, but our pets like to drink straight from the faucets.
We have noticed an orange tint that builds up over time on various
things that use the water (dishwasher, sinks, etc). From reading
these groups it would appear that using Iron Out may help. I have
read and been told it can be added to the softener, but I wanted to
see how safe this is first.

Thanks for all feedback on this issue!