Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Static electricity to the eyeball?

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 20:44:52 -0000, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 14:43:50 -0000, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Kristy Ogilvie brought next idea :
Where is this protective ground? There certainly isn't one in any BT
master
socket I've seen, just a couple of twisted pairs coming through a
plastic
tube to the socket.

Some service lines would be fitted with a ground connection in the
early GPO days, but I doubt any are now. Most likely there will be a
ground at the pole or the cabinet.

I assume this is only for overhead lines anyway, mine are underground.

Strangely some newer houses in the next block have overhead phone wires
(but underground mains wires). Did they forget them when building or
something?

Or something most likely. Likely the conduit is there but was collapsed
by a truck or something so they took the easy way out and went overhead.

But it's a couple of hundred houses. And the overhead lines are from
poles to each house.

OK, I thought you meant a block of flats/terrace houses.

What you got is just a policy change. We had that here. Our phone services
are all underground in the streets here, but the next few later were back on
the power poles for some reason I now forget and then back underground
again for the ones done later further out.