Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Static electricity to the eyeball?

"Kristy Ogilvie" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 18:47:58 -0000, Bob F wrote:

On 12/15/2018 4:57 AM, Kristy Ogilvie wrote:
On Sat, 15 Dec 2018 03:41:34 -0000, Bob F wrote:

On 12/14/2018 10:41 AM, Fred Johnson wrote:
Could static electricity to the eyeball cause lasting harm? Normally
you just jump and swear with a static shock to your finger etc, but
I've
found two instances on google of pain lasting a few days when someone
got a shock on their nose (one in a shop from a perfume bottle they
were
smelling, and one from a blanket at home). But what if it got your
eyeball?

A neighbor of mine got shocked by her landline phone when lightning
struck while I was talking to her on my phone. It turned out that the
phone line protective ground had been disconnected. She said that her
hearing was hyper-sensitive for weeks after that. Everything was way
louder.

Where is this protective ground? There certainly isn't one in any BT
master socket I've seen, just a couple of twisted pairs coming through a
plastic tube to the socket.

The ground that was disconnected was a wire from the phone box on the
house to a pipe, in this case, where a hose bibb was on the side of the
house.

I have made sure that both the phone and cable boxes are directly
connect to my ground rod using a large (about 1/8") copper ground wire.

Not sure what you mean by "phone box on the house".

Quite a few phone systems have a phone box on the side
of the house where the phone wire coming to the house is
terminated and then there is a different cable into the house.
Hear its often called a Madison box.
https://www.tradezone.com.au/product...ver-22787.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_93TBmmJyZY

Its not legally required and I don't have one at my place.
I have an underground service and have a conduit that
I put in the concrete slab on the ground before the slab
was poured. That comes up in the cavity of the 8" concrete
block front wall of the house and there is a wall plate with
a phone socket on it inside that room and that is where
I join the two cables, the one that comes from the pit
in the corner of the block of land which has the multipair
street cable going thru it down my side of the street and
the cable that loops thru the various phone sockets inside
the house. We don't have the master socket concept here,
the phone sockets are all wired in parallel electrically.

In the UK an underground twisted pair wire inside a plastic hose comes
right inside the house and terminates in a socket on the inside of a room
wall (same size as a lightswitch or power outlet).

So is mine.

There's no earthing anywhere,

We do sometimes have a lightning arrestor that can
be installed in the madison box, normally only seen
with overhead phone lines and normally only used
in very lightning prone areas. They are essentially
an spark gap type thing from the phone lines to
the earth which has to be run to the madison box.

unless it's further back at the exchange

There is that protection back at the exchange or the RIM or CMUX.

or a junction box.

There are pillars here where the various multipair cables
in the distribution area join the much bigger multipair
cables that go back to the exchange, RIM or CMUX.
https://say.telstra.com.au/res/image...001/Pillar.jpg

These don't have lightning arrestors normally.