Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Static electricity to the eyeball?

On 12/15/18 2:53 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

You can get a substantial spike on underground phone lines with a close
lightning strike. You can also get the underground mulitipair cables fried
by lighting and have to be replaced after that too.

This wasn't a phone line but a single 14 awg wire buried on a loop.
It had a break in it because of a lightning strike. There was a hole in the
ground that went down to the wire buried maybe 30" deep. Corn stalks
adjacent to the hole were burned. They were still green in the rest of the
field.
The owner of the farm told me about the old timers talking about that
kind of stuff. He was skeptical and so was I. It happened there and in
at least one other place I remember.